Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hey! That's MY Car...

Today was quite exciting, well, the afternoon was anyway. I was busy working at my desk, so I really didn't notice anything out of the ordinary...
Gary (he's an Admin Assistant, and, like me, he does several jobs around here) went out to the garage & came back in a couple of times, which is not anything unusual in itself because he does that a lot; getting cars ready, seeing to the landscaping, or any one of the 100 or so other things he does around here. So he's out in the garage and in a little while I get a call on my cell phone and it's Gary calling me from his cell. I'm laughing, thinking, "why on earth is he calling me on cells when he's just out in the garage??" He's all out of breath and tells me to call the police (he couldn't think of the number, lol) some kid just tried to steal his car right out of the garage, and he chased him down and is about 3 blocks away on the corner, of course it didn't all come out quite that coherent since he was running while he was talking to me. Then I hear him yelling at someone (presumably the kid) and nothing. I call 911 from my cell (I could've just called the police line, but I was worried about Gary) and told them the situation, and where he was and that I could see him from outside our front door, down the street about 2 blocks. Turns out a trooper was closer, so he got there first and held him for the Police. Meanwhile, Gary calls me again & tells me that this kid wasn't alone and would I please pull the keys out of his car. So I go out in the garage and get the keys out of his car, lock mine, and notice that all of the other vehicles in the garage - 2 limos, the hearse, the van, all have doors ajar, and the old International truck had its tail lights on. I shut the garge doors and lock the outside door and the door going into the building, just in case he's still out there. I grabbed my remote before I locked my van, and waited by the door thinking that if he tried to get out I would shut the door on him, lol.
It turns out that this kid is 11 years old and had been been listed as a runaway 45 minutes before he tried to steal Gary's car. Gary's car is a bright blue PT Cruiser, and we figure he finally settled on it after trying all the other vehicles because it was smaller and already pointed towards the way out - no backing or anything involved. Plus, it's a cool car! From what Gary said, he kept going out in the garage because he was hearing noises out there and then the last time he went out noticed that the tail lights on his car were on and the car was moving towards the garage opening. He ran up to the car and the kid turned off the car & got out. Gary asked him what he was doing and the kid, just calm as can be, says he's not doing anything and then ran. Gary chased him around the building, down the alley, around behind some buildings, down the street about a block & then turned & ran two blocks to where Gary caught him. Not bad for a 40-somethin' guy who doesn't work out or anything, yeah?? 11 year old kid with fear & adrenaline pushing him, & he caught him!
This kid lost his dad 2 years ago, doesn't know where his mom is, and lives with his Grandmother. He definitely has some issues, but it sounds like this other kid that was involved is older and was in large part responsible for all the trouble he got into today. Yeah, he didn't have to listen to him, or do what he said, but don't you remember being influenced by an older cousin, sibling, whatever and feeling like you couldn't say no?? I do - my cousin got me into all kinds of trouble when we were young, LOL, and even though I was a somewhat-unwilling participant, I was a participant, none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment