Monday, July 27, 2009

Fireflies

Or Lightning Bugs, or whatever you want to call them, fascinate me. Growing up in California, I never saw them until I took a trip to Atlanta, Georgia. Now that I live in Kansas, I get to see them every year once the warm weather sets in. Soft, slow little lights drifting around gardens, in trees and bushes - mesmerizing! A couple of years ago, the little neighbor girl confessed to me that she likes to catch a lot of them in her bug box & let them go in her big sister's room, hehehe! I had to admit that I had not thought of that - good one!

A couple of nights ago there were so many outside that it looked like a firework display viewed from a distance - no sound, just the twinkling lights. There is a lot behind our house that is owned by the neighbors behind us to the south, and they use it to plant gardens of vegetables and flowers, and that's where they were all gathered. Some kind of firefly festival of lights.

My favorite time to watch is at twilight. Everything is bathed in that odd light - or absence of light - and the sky is purple and deep blue. The outlines of trees, grass, everything, are hazy - blurred, and time seems to slow down and stand still. And in the half light a slow, graceful dance of soft lights is taking place among the flowers and trees. First rising, then falling, drifting this way and that...ethereal. You can almost believe in fairies :) 'All creatures, great and small, The Lord God made them all' Maybe He did create fairies and we call them fireflies...

No comments:

Post a Comment