Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cows Out

Bobby, being a Sheriff Deputy, gets called out during the wee hours sometimes - for all kinds of things. He typically goes on call at 4am and doesn't go on duty until 8am, unless someone is out sick or whatever, in which case he can be on call from midnight to 4am, etc. Not every call-out is a life & death-type situation.

The last three mornings he has gotten called out at 4:30, 5:30, & 6:45 for cows being out. There have been times in the past where people have been seriously injured in vehicle/cow accidents, and there was a fatality several years ago involving a black cow, so folks are in panic mode when they see cows out. Also, most farmers don't want to lose a major source of income. There are a few, though, who don't seem to care as they won't fix their fences!

Yesterday morning the dispatcher called to tell him that the rp (reporting party) said there were 40 head of cattle out on the highway. How on earth did they come up with 40?? You can't tell me that driving by, you have time to count 40 cows! How about a bunch of cows? Or a lot of cows? Several?
Of course, when Bobby gets there, there are NO cows. Where did 40 cows go? How do 40 cows up & disappear?? You'd think that 40 cows wouldn't be able to get very far away in 15 minutes, but boy they must have been flat movin' because they were gone! Bobby even checked 4-5 mile area and nothing.
That's not to say that the deputies don't ever find them - I can't tell you how many times they have put cows back in - and horses. We had a buffalo loose in town last summer, which was fun, lol. He made the front page of the local paper :)
Several years ago a whole bunch of calves got loose from the Sale Barn (livestock sales & auctions) and made their way into town. It took two days to get them all rounded up. Bobby was out on his horse roping calves along with several others. I was dispatching at the time & the phones were crazy! People calling up & saying "There's 3 in my back yard!" "here come 5 of 'em down National Ave.!" "come get this cow out of my garden!" Ok, we'll be right there...

1 comment:

  1. Cute story, brought back great memories from when three houses down was the fencing for about 30 head and once in a while they would get out. My h and I hadn't lived in this little hick town long, we were city slickers... Los Angelos! and, well, you can just imagine one morning, very early when I snuck my head out at 5:30ish to grab the newspaper and freaked out because there was a gorgeous Jersey just 3 feet from my face, at my front door. Poor baby, I scared her when I screeched! My h came running to see what the problem was and walked her home. We were use to it after that. Rosie became one of our favorites.

    ReplyDelete