Wednesday, August 12, 2009

School Supplies

Ok, I fail! I was too tired to post last night, so I'm doing it this morning. In my defense, I did school supply shopping last night at WalMart & didn't get back until 10 pm!

I don't know about anywhere else, but here, you get a list of things you need at registration, or you can pick it up at WalMart and the grocery stores & Walgreens. It's broken up into grades. Kindergarten didn't have to bring anything, thankfully. Pencils (no mechanical) pink eraser, colored pencils, glue, scissors, expandable folder, Clorox wipes, two boxes of tissues, 6 2-pocket folders, crayons, markers, watercolor paints, 2 wide lines spiral notebooks, 2 pkgs wide lined notebook paper. This is all for 4th grade. This year I got a good expandable ($10!!!) so it will last for next year. Last year's fell apart before the end of the school year. I also had to get 2 backpacks and some personal size Germ-X. Even though Sully didn't really need anything, I got him some colored pencils and some paper. So, all that for $50.

Now, Open House is Thursday the 13th. We'll go & meet the teacher, see the room & get a packet of info from him/her. This is a good time to bring in your supplies so you don't have to bring it all in the first day of school. Shamefully, lol, this is the first year I've had the supplies before Open House. Moving on.....lol....

In the past, this is also the time where the teacher hands you an additional list of items needed that are needed for that particular class. We heard a rumor that they cut the list down this year due to economic times, so maybe that won't happen this year. You pay $30 per head to enroll, then you have to buy supplies, but you also have to buy supplies that are communal, like the tissues and the wipes. So what happens if there are any left?? Shouldn't we get them back? I don't have the answers to those questions - I've never asked. But I'd be willing to bet that my husband, without much prodding, will ask it, lol.

In first grade, we had to buy 4 glue sticks. We bought the good ones, because the Roseart ones were crappy. Tucker's homework which involved pasting would come home in a ziplock (which we also bought) and inside was a crappy Roseart glue stick! I asked Tucker why he had that & not the ones we bought him and he said that the teacher had all the gluesticks and she put them in everyone's bag. So, I asked the teacher to use the ones we bought instead, and that it shouldn't be a problem as his name was on them. We were told to label everything, so those got labeled too, lol. End of problem :)

So, last night I went to WalMart with my list in hand and a plan of attack; all regular supplies first & hard stuff that would require more thought for last, ie; expandable, and backpacks. I got almost everything in the first 10 minutes, except there were no pink erasers and no paints. I even got an expandable quick & easy because there were only 3 left - pink, purple and green. That was a no-brainer, lol. I spent 15 minutes trying to find the erasers and the paint - nothing. There weren't any available Associates to ask for help, either. So, I went to look at backpacks. There were a few all over the store in about 10 different places. They were mostly girly - Hannah Montana & Tinkerbell, etc., with the exception of some that had skulls & stuff on them. But then those could be for girls too, I guess, lol. Wasn't a very good selection, but I wound up with two, with the thought that Tucker's messenger bag from last year was still in awesome shape & I might be bringing one back anyway.

Then I spotted an available worker and asked about the paints. She took me to the waaay other end of the store, where the Subway used to be, and showed me a whole room with school supplies. I should have remembered this from Easter. And Halloween. And Christmas! I did the same thing those times - couldn't find something holiday-specific and an associate would point me to this room. I'm telling everybody I know, so that next time, if I don't remember, someone can remind me, lmbo. Honestly, though, I never see that corner of WalMart because I don't go in at that end. Out of sight out of mind...

No comments:

Post a Comment