Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Battle Scars

As a parent you sometimes have to do things, or allow things to happen for the good of your child, that you dread as much if not more than they do. I consider immunizations to be one of those things. I know a lot of people think they cause more harm than good, but I believe in them. I don't know what the science is regarding adverse reactions and possible contributors to Autism and all that, so I'm not even going there.

Sully needed to have his boosters for school and we didn't get them done before because one, he was on an antibiotic for a sinus infection, and two, because we flat were putting it off, lol.

When I was Sully's age I got pneumonia and had to get penicillin shots in my legs, and later I got Strep in my lymph glands and had to have more shots. Then there were the stitches when I practically cut my toe off, the time I fell in cactus and my mom had to pull all the little needles out one by one, and when I came home with a length of barbed wire around my ankle. I handle pain pretty well, and when it came to doctors, and needles, and such, I never screamed or threw fits or fought it. Probably because I trusted my mom. Or maybe that's just genes - my brother was the same way, and we were like her.

My two youngest are not like me or my mom or my brother. They are like their dad hehehe! He had to be tackled to get shots, or anything else that might possibly involve needles. My oldest son, Jordan is like me, though. He always took his medicine, never fought when it came to necessary medical treatments.

Today we went to the County Health Department to get his shots. Did that because I couldn't get into the doctor until the last week of August, and that just wouldn't work. Also, I didn't want to have to hog-tie him the next time he needed to go to the doctor, hehehe. I felt so bad! I tried to get him to hug me & not look at the needle, but it was like a train wreck - he had to look, lol! He had to have 3 shots, so we went through it 3 times, and omgosh! the yelling that went on! And not just him! Tucker was in with us and he was over in the chair in the corner rocking back & forth and praying, lol. He would have ran out of the room if he could have gotten around us, I think, lol! Once it was over with and we were leaving, you couldn't tell that only one of the boys got shots. They were both walking hunched over and shuffling and sniffling. When we got home, Sully saw Ronnie outside (our neighbor to the north and over one house) playing basketball with his grandson, so he runs over there and tells Ronnie he got shot! Three times! ....

No comments:

Post a Comment