Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Stealth Tomato

Wow - I'm finally feeling a better! Not 100%, but better :) My boys have been little mother hens; asking me how I'm feeling, do I need to go to the doctor, do I have a fever...lol, they can run amok at times and behave like little heathens occasionally, just like all kids, but they are good boys :)

This morning, Sully, at 6:45, asks me if it's time to go to school yet, and in the same breath; "...and when will it be sunny?" We drive them to school when it's raining, lol. He has made HUGE strides in the last 2 weeks and I'm so proud of him. He is really coming out of his shell and participating, and losing some of his shyness. He really enjoys school and is so excited every day that he gets to go, lol! He loves riding the bus, and he talks non-stop about his bus driver, his teachers, his friends, and he can't wait to show me all of his papers he brings home every day.

Bobby brought home a bag of tomatoes last night. Actually two bags - very full. This has been a bad year for tomatoes for us. The ones we planted are just not thriving, no matter what we do, and I'm hearing the same complaint from some other people. The one thing we have in common is that we all bought our plants from Wal Mart. Bad batch of plants, I guess.

Typically, there are so many tomatoes, you don't know what to do with them all. And everyone has them, so you can't give them away. That's when you resort to blessing others anonymously and leave them in bags on the doorsteps of your friends and neighbors in the dead of night, only to come home and find that you aren't the only one out blessing others with free tomatoes. There sit two bags of the wretched things by your door.

By the time planting season rolls around, you have been dreaming of homegrown tomatoes every night since January, and are so 'real' tomato deprived, that you go out and buy 20 plants. Then, by August and September the tomatoes have taken over. They are everywhere - every available flat surface is covered and it appears that they are multiplying. Now, the dreams have taken a dark turn and you are dreaming about tomato vines wrapping you up and dragging you from your bed down to the kitchen, where a giant tomato sits in the chair and tells you to stop eating tomatoes and eat more corn...

Anyway, I have two bags of tomatoes I have to figure out what to do with. I think I'll use one bag to make salsa, and maybe make sauce out of the other one. Anyone have a good, easy salsa recipe??

No comments:

Post a Comment