Friday, June 14, 2013

Visitors and Time Well Spent

Mr Turtle
I had a little visitor yesterday morning who was steadily making his way across the back yard area towards a tree in the neighbor's backyard behind us. He had his eye on the tree the whole time, and was quite focused on his target. I didn't have time to get my Rebel, so I grabbed my Droid instead. Turtles may not be super speedy, but they are steady and will get away from you faster than you think. There aren't any ponds in our neighborhood, and the closest lake is the one at the college which is quite a distance away for a little guy like this - probably 1/2 a mile. The lake is small and has a walking trail around it. They do stock it with fish, though, and there are usually several people out fishing from the one dock and around the banks. And yes, there are turtles  there. I just can't quite figure out why this little guy would come so far away, in the wrong direction, from water.

Hubby has had a about 4 days off in a row because he switched days with another officer who needed to go out of town, so while Tucker has been gone to Oklahoma he has been taking Sully fishing every morning. Sully is always kind of lost when his older brother isn't around, so we try to keep him occupied. It's not too hard during the daytime between my husband, my dad, and myself, but at night when it's time to go to bed is a different story. The boys have shared a room since Sully was 2 years old, so he has a little trouble going to sleep when he's not home. He gets up several times to use the bathroom or to get a drink of water - typical kid ruses for staying up. so sometimes I just let him fall asleep on the couch and then I wake him up and drag him to bed. He stumbles around like a zombie and I have to guide him around obstacles and into his room. Sometimes watching him climb up into his bunk is like watching a miniature drunk who has lost his depth perception: that foot trying to find exactly where the step is, raising and stepping down into air in various places until he finally finds it. 

So, the two of them have enjoyed their fishing excursions, and although my husband's plans for tiling the new kitchen counter top section had to be let go along with a few other things he wanted to tackle, it's been a great 4 days. Not much more than getting the mowing done got accomplished in one sense, but that's because greater things were happening: hubby was busy being a dad and that's far more important. The counter and the squeaky doors can wait a little longer. ❤

No comments:

Post a Comment