Friday, June 21, 2013

Encounters of the Stupid Variety

Do you ever wonder how some people survive? I do, in fact sometimes I think I would like it better if I was surrounded only by animals. They can be better listeners and definitely more entertaining, plus they don't lie. I have just about had my fill of people today. Ever heard that phrase "too stupid to live"? - well that has been rolling around in my mind a lot today. I haven't actually said it - yet! I've been trying to show some restraint. One small example of the stupidity I have encountered today: I explained to one person that they shouldn't park in front of the ramp in the garage as when the hearse and limos come back from the funeral, they can't get in and will have to go around and back in from the other door. A lot less convenient. What does someone else who should know better do? Yep - They park in front of the ramp. Ugh!

Oh - I remembered what I wanted to share from yesterday! My fantasy: that someone will show up at our house and rip off all of the old siding and put up brand new Hardiboard siding by mistake. That way, we could take the money from the insurance for the siding and put it towards new windows all the way around. It could happen - we've had no fewer than three incidents of roofers roofing the wrong house, so why not siding? I'm quite honestly surprised it hasn't happened more frequently considering the number of contractors in the area and houses needing repair. Most of these people aren't from around here so one hail damaged house looks just like another one. Also, not all of the addresses of houses are marked. Our local emergency personnel just know how to find places or they know the people, especially those who have been around awhile. Remember: everybody knows everybody else around here. Everybody knows what brand toothpaste you buy, and they know if you have athletes foot, dandruff, or dentures. They are snoopy - they will check out your grocery cart and comment on it. If it's interesting enough, they will share their discovery and blab to their 30 closest friends, and your worst enemy, just to see if it sparks something new to talk about. Something else I've discovered - they either forget or they don't care that their windows are open and everyone can hear what they're yelling at their kids about, or hear what's playing on TV. It's quite illuminating what you can hear on a not-too-hot-not-too-cool evening walk and the air conditioners are off and the windows are open...

No comments:

Post a Comment