Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Something You Don't See Every Day

So I see lot's of interesting things on my way to work. Since it takes me less than 5 minutes to get there, it's often a jam-packed viewing experience. Last  Thursday I only saw one interesting thing, so it was a slow day. I couldn't take a picture because I was driving. I thought I might try to catch it on my way home, but it was already gone. What I saw was the front end of a Ford truck in the bed of a truck parked over at the feed store. I'm guessing the truck that the front half was in was also a Ford, but I didn't have time to notice. At first I couldn't tell what it was - I thought maybe some kind of old coke cooler or maybe a radio console. All I could see was red and some shiny chrome. Ok - I was wearing my sunglasses, not my seeing glasses so it took me a few seconds to figure out what I was seeing. Yeah, I know, but legally I can still pass a driver's test without wearing my glasses, so there!

So if that wasn't mind-blowing enough, the next day it snowed! In May!! Not something that happens around here very often. In fact, according to a search, the last time it snowed in May in Kansas was in 1907 on the 3rd and was reported in the Topeka and Kansas City area. People are saying this is the first time in recorded history for the area that it has snowed in the Southeast Kansas area in May. I am unable to verify that info myself without paying substantial bucks for a specialized historical weather report, so I'm gonna just go with it and say it's true. Regardless, crazy weather right? The day before it was in the 80's and by late afternoon the next day it was snowing. We had about 3 inches but then by sometime early morning the temps warmed up to about 40 and it started melting off a bit. It kind of put a halt to all of the roofing going on in the area, that's for sure!

So I mentioned a couple of things that you don't normally see as a regular occurrence. What about something I do see everyday? That would have to be plastic bags in the trees. My mom used to call it Bag City because there are so many bags caught in the trees, blowing along the sidewalks, caught in fences, and rolling along the highway like tumbleweeds. But hey, I'd rather live in Bag City than Gas City, or even in Gas, Kansas (both real places). What do YOU think of when you hear Gas City??

No comments:

Post a Comment