Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Foodie Weekend

Doesn't everyone have a favorite restaurant that they only get to go to occasionally because of cost or location? You know which one - the one where you sometimes have dreams that you and your significant other are sharing a meal at and then you wake up disappointed because you were just about to take a bite? No? So that's just me then? Hmmm...lol, anyhoo, we went to one of ours Friday night with some friends from church who had never been and we all had a wonderful time. It's a Japanese steakhouse in Joplin and has the best food! Some friends from our other church introduced us to it a few years back and it's fab! We've only ever had sushi from there, and we decided we really liked it. The cooked variations, only, though for me. My favorites are the Mama Mia Special Roll (brought to the table flaming) and New Style California Roll (battered & deep fried). I do better with those two because they are warm when you eat them and there isn't so much seaweed wrap on them. Plus, when the seaweed is cooked a bit, it loses some of that weird stretchy texture and is easier to eat. I get to craving the sushi, yes, but really it's the seafood sauce that haunts me so. It's wonderful! I've tried to make my own, and I came pretty close once...I may have to make another attempt at it. I should have taken some foodie shots of our meal, but honestly, I just couldn't wait to dig in. That and my husband thinks I'm weird when I take pictures of food. I think he's weird, period!  :)

Sooo...my plans for the long Memorial Weekend were jimmy-jacked by the non-delivery of my camera filters and also by the weather. The wind started blowing Friday afternoon and still hasn't stopped. It has grown in intensity each day, but no actual tornadoes or anything like that. Of course beginning tomorrow sometime, it is supposed to storm all the rest of the week, and so then we will have wind-driven rain and possibly even hail, to contend with...ugh. Because it's difficult to take pictures when the wind is blowing a hundred miles an hour (not really, only 30 to 60 mph) and it isn't much fun on a motorcycle either, we didn't do much. 

Early Saturday morning we went to breakfast and then out to the nursery to get some plants, went to Wal Mart, and then came home and started planting said plants. Sunday, we fixed Teriyaki Chicken on the grill with marinated grilled red, yellow, and orange bell peppers, and frozen chunks of pineapple. It was kind of tough keeping the flame going, but Bobby got it done.

Monday, Bobby had to work, so I was home with the boys and they played video games and watched movies while I worked on an assignment - yeah no holiday for me from school! One thing I did was set up my camera case - or what I am using for a camera case until I find one I like and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. It's a Beijo Bag that a friend gave to me a while back (she used to sell them) and I took the pictures this morning after I got the first half of my filter order (didn't I tell you Tuesday??).
I just put down some foam in the bottom and a layer of bubble wrap for protection. There's plenty of room for everything - probably even room for a couple more lenses. It works pretty good - the material is pretty solid, so it actually offers quite a bit of protection. That and it's pretty stylish  for a camera bag ;)

Last night we fixed Brats for supper - boiled in beer, butter, and onions first, and they were yummy! Again, though, it was a tough go keeping the grill lit, but perseverance won out! I just noticed how much I've talked about food in this post. I'm making myself hungry. Anyway, after supper, we all sat down and watched Brave. I really liked it and there were plenty of fun scenes so the boys didn't think it was too girly. All in all, it was a pretty good weekend even though my original plans fell through.

Tomorrow I'll post some pics of my new plants - gotta take some first ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment