Monday, November 24, 2014

Milk Mustaches and Goatees

Yesterday was the first snow of the season, and although rather skimpy at just under three inches, still quite pretty. It also came with a winter weather advisory, which meant that it was much too cold to be out in it, but lovely to look at through the windows inside a toasty family room with a fire in the fireplace :) Of course I still had to take dogs out in it and also feed the cats out there, but it just made me appreciate the indoors more. And I didn't get a darn thing done all weekend, but that's not the only reason why...

I mentioned in a recent post that I've been taking care of some kittens in our carport and that I saw another mama cat with kittens in the immediate vicinity. Well, that particular mama cat, or at least I assume it is her, has abandoned a baby in that same planter mentioned in the post, (which is why I'm pretty sure it's her) The poor thing was left out in the cold sometime during Tuesday night and Wednesday morning right out in the open with no shelter. And it was so cold and windy! Hubby kept an eye on it for a while, and when he couldn't stand it any longer, went and got it. (LOVE that man!) Then upon noticing that it's eyes appeared matted shut, immediately took it to the vet. (I probably would have gently cleaned them myself first, but I tend to have a cooler head) And that is the story of how we came to belong to a tiny feline. I'm calling it Little One rather than she or he, because I can't tell if it is male or female yet - the vet seemed to think it was about 2 weeks old, but didn't take a look at the undercarriage, so being the cat novices that we are, we don't know. We will be going back in a couple of weeks for a check-up anyway, so hopefully we will get a definitive answer as to gender then. Little One is sweet and loving, and has its purr set on 'high'. After it has had it's milk and I've cleaned up paws and chin (quite an impressive milk goatee!) L.O. likes to snuggle up under my chin, purr and pat my face with tiny, soft paws.
Little One

Isn't that a sweet little face? No wonder we are all smitten :) ...Well, all of us except maybe the dogs...but they will adjust over time. L.O. is quite smart and has figured out the litterbox in the crate. The crate is quite large for a kitty cat, but just the right size for a Bassett Hound, so L.O. has plenty of room. I got to spend the whole weekend with the kitty while Hubby worked, but now he is off, so he gets to spend the day feeding and entertaining L.O. I texted him earlier and asked how it was going. Apparently they ate, played, and slept the morning away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment