Thursday, November 6, 2014

That Thankful Feeling

Now that it is November, it's time to start thinking about Thanksgiving. A lot of people I know on Facebook are posting what they are thankful for everyday until the holiday and I think it's a nice way of forcing yourself to focus on all of the blessings instead of all of the crummy stuff. Am I doing it also? Well, no, but I still think it is a nice idea and just because I'm not posting it on FB doesn't mean I'm not being thankful every day ;)

Last year the Holidays were different with Hubby's parents having moved to Oklahoma. Peaceful, quiet and nothing burned. This year we'll have my cousin Larry with us. His wife left him, for the second time, and he felt like he had nothing in California to keep him there, so my dad (who is his uncle) flew back to California to help get him packed up and they drove back here. Larry lived here when he was a kid, so it isn't totally foreign, but he's lived in California so long, that I'm sure there will be some culture shock. He seems to be enjoying it so far, but of course it hasn't snowed yet.

My dad and Larry are not all that far apart in years, with my dad being the elder of the two. My dad now has some company around and someone to cook for him on a regular basis. Larry is an excellent cook and my dad is reaping the benefits of that talent. He is in hog-heaven because he doesn't have to cook for himself.

My relationship with Larry is different because he is a lot older than me - a grown man with kids my age to be exact. I always loved Larry even though he teased me mercilessly when I was little. There is a picture of one such occasion in which it is my birthday and he is insisting that the birthday cake is his and not mine. I of course, being the spitfire that I was, informed him hotly that it was MY cake! Funny what we remember. I can recall many of those types of conversations between us, but last Wednesday's dinner details are a little fuzzy.... He has had a couple of mild strokes, but it has left him different. Of course recent circumstances may play a part as well.He was always impulsive, brash, and boisterous. He's now more quiet and reserved and seems a little beaten down. I'm hoping that this change will be good for him and give him back his spark.

I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving and I'm already planning what to fix. Apparently Hubby is also, because on his day off he went shopping and picked out two turkeys - one for us and one to fix for the church Thanksgiving dinner. Last year we went simple since it was just us and my dad, but this year we'll have Larry and maybe even Chris and Stacy and the kids, so I want to do a little more. I'm taking the day before and the day after off as I have found out that it works better  that way. I can clean and do all of the make-ahead stuff that day so that I'm not a frazzled mess the next. Having the day after off is nice because then I can recover from all of the work and food from the day before.

Oh I remember last Wednesday now! We had McDonald's because parent teacher conferences were that evening. HUGE success, it was, and what a joy! Both of the boys had excellent evaluations and it is always heart-warming to hear how well your child is doing and what a pleasure they are to have in class. Our boys typically have good reviews, but still, the conferences are always something that cause apprehension. What if it's not good? What if?... you know the drill. "Anything can happen and probably will" is our motto when it comes to parent teacher conferences. That way we are prepared for the worst and overjoyed at the wonderful news that our children aren't deadbeats: they can read, write, and do math, and are not beating the living tar out of their classmates. Thumbs up - it's all good! We did have a little "attitude" trouble last year with our teen, but he has pulled himself out of it and is enjoying high school which is such a blessing. Freshman year can be such a scary, nerve-wracking time, and it is such a relief when kids adjust to it well. 

Okay, so let's see: I'm thankful for my family and friends, especially new old friends (you know who you are), and that my children are doing well in school; I'm thankful for my church family, opportunities to serve, and I'm thankful that I am able to put my talents to good use. I'm also feeling especially thankful for the upcoming holiday and the opportunity to spend a few days off with my family. On that note, I leave you with an image of last year's smoked turkey:


No comments:

Post a Comment