Friday, March 9, 2012

Moving On

I could go into all of the details as to why I have been absent and why I have treated this blog so shamefully, but instead I have opted to rise above, to start fresh. Anybody can start fresh in January - all of those well-intentioned resolutions to lose weight or quit smoking, etc. I'm choosing to break away from the pack and begin anew in March!  So, moving on... :)

Last spring we renovated our bathroom. This year we are remodeling our kitchen and living room from floor to ceiling - floors being last.  We had an old, huge floor-to-ceiling window in our living room and we were losing a lot of heating and cooling through it. Actually I think it was more a case of the outside coming in. We also had this goofy angled ceiling that was really high at one end (12 feet at least!) and about 8 feet at the other end, and a wall separating the kitchen from the living room that was not squared up. Most walls are at a 90 degree angle to each other, but this was something else. Basically it made my kitchen a wedge kind of shape and gave my living room a weird deep corner that I had to try to camouflage so it wasn't so noticeable. We took down that wall and are putting up a new straight wall that is quite a bit shorter so that the dining room, living room and a large part of the kitchen are open together. So we dropped the ceilings to a level 8 feet high, put in insulation, new can lighting, a new window, and we will be putting in soon a new stove that is now part of the 21st century, new cabinets, and a new door between the kitchen and laundry room. Whew! And when we're all done with that,we'll tear up the old carpet and stain the pristine hardwood floors underneath ;)

Right now we are finishing up the drywall and getting ready to stain all of the cabinets. I came home yesterday to find a thick white coating over all visible surfaces. My husband had been busy sanding the the places where he had put up the tape and mud. It looked a lot like a case of baby powder had exploded. So thankful for vacuum cleaners!


No comments:

Post a Comment