Monday, June 14, 2010

Blueberry Dump Cake Recipe

My friend Angie asked me to post my recipe for Blueberry Dump Cake here, so I am obliging :)  It's so simple, it's ridiculous! Most people know how to do a dump cake,I guess-traditionally it's cherry & pineapple, but I don't really like that combination, so I decided that blueberries would be better. Also, when we went camping two summers ago with Angie's family and our friend Angela's family on her parents property, her mother made some absolutely fabulous blueberry desert in a dutch oven. It's haunted me ever since hee hee, so this somewhat satisfies that particular craving.

I'm posting what I did, but you can change it up however you want.
So here we go:
4 cups blueberries - can be frozen or fresh, canned too probably if you don't have anything else available
1 Lemon cake mix DRY- 2 if your 9 x 13 pan seems larger like mine does
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 stick butter - 2 if you are making a larger pan
Oven at 350
*Note, this is not a regular cake, so be sure to use a shallow pan (ie, no bundt cake pans), and don't follow the directions on the cake mix  :)
Combine your blueberries with sugar & cinnamon in the bottom of your pan. Sprinkle your cake mix over the top getting good coverage. Slice up your stick butter and place it on top of the dry cake mix. I sliced mine thin so I could get good coverage with just one stick, lol Then bake for 50 minutes if your blueberries are frozen, 30-40 if using fresh. If you're using canned, you might start checking after 20. The top should not be gooey, so just keep checking it until the top is light golden and not sticky to the touch, and kind of feels like a sugar cookie. That's it! Easy-peasy!

I made this last Sunday night to take to church. Sunday evenings are relaxed get-togethers, plus we had a missionary from Colombia visiting. I divided it into two pans-my large 9 x 13, and a smaller one , size unknown , that I inherited from my mom.  (Both of my 9x13's say what size they are on the bottom, but one of the two is deeper than the other, and just enough larger that I can nestle the other one inside it - go figure!) I used a whole bag of frozen blueberries and divided them between the two pans. I used two sticks of butter, and then just kind of guessed at the amounts of sugar & cinnamon. You can make this using a yellow cake mix or white, but the lemon just kind of sets off the blueberries, in my opinion, so if you aren't into the flavor of lemon, use something else. You just might want to adjust the amount of sugar you use as it might be too sweet - definitely adjust it down if your pan is small.
If you try it, I'd love to hear how it turned out, so feel free to leave comments or email me. Oddly enough, hardly anyone leaves comments, but I get lot's of emails lol.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting....I hve some reduced sugar cake mix so may try this with Splenda instead of sugar and fresh blueberries. Will have to go to the store :) Bangles

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM...this sounds awesome! I have been on a fresh berry kick lately! These kinds of cakes are made in dutch ovens too. I will have to try this!! I do agree...lemons and blueberries do go together!!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, Dara! I forgot you told me you posted this recipe until after I made my grocery store trip. I have got to make this, and SOON! It was delicious when I had it at church the other night.

    Your friend,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete