Monday, November 2, 2009

Disturbing Behavior

No, I'm not talking about that relatively unknown song by the late Robert Palmer (sad, that).  
I got a call from the school nurse today at work - very sweet lady - who immediately let me know that everything was ok, but that Sully, my five year old, had been choked and pushed over a table by another kindergartener.  They examined him and he wasn't upset or crying, and other than some small red marks, he was unharmed.  Then the principal called me and we talked about this other kid, who, from time to time, according to Sully, has picked on him in various ways.  But things are escalating, and I want to know how they plan to protect my child from this child.  There's something profoundly disturbing about a five year old trying to choke another five year old!  Of course the principal couldn't give me much information about this other kid, but I already knew who it was.  They will continue to monitor things, pull him out of the class when necessary & keep a close eye on him - basically do what they can to keep the kids safe.  Sully seems to be mostly unbothered by it - he lets most things roll off his back.  I just don't want him to think this kind of thing is normal, and I don't want him to just let it happen, ya know?  He sure doesn't let his older brother get by with anything, but that's his brother - it's different in his mind.  I still can't get over a kindergartener trying to throttle a classmate.  Wow...

No comments:

Post a Comment