Wednesday, April 8, 2015

If Mama Ain't Happy...

It's been rather stormy here the last few days - and not just weather-wise (although we have had severe thunderstorm warnings almost non-stop for the last 12 hours). Some recent events have set me off and I'm just picking my moment to set things right. Most of them little, and they do pile up, but one of them happens to be a big deal. To me, anyway. 

As a general rule, I am non-confrontational when the situation applies to myself. I let a lot of things go (part of that whole forgiveness thing). I might stew about them a bit in my own mind...or here, but generally I take a step back and take a moment to think about whether it is worth it or not, and usually decide it isn't. I'm very quick, however, to jump in when it involves someone else. Most of the trouble I got into at school was due to taking up for others who were bullied, etc. This time it involved me. I took my step back and my time to think and decided a course of action is necessary. Let me 'splain:

My husband and I decided when we moved into our current home that the family room was his to arrange how he liked and the living room was mine. I don't mess with his room and he doesn't mess with mine. Normally. We do of course ask each others opinion when rearranging or whatever. As I mentioned a few posts back, we moved my computer and art/craft stuff out so that the boys could have separate rooms. That has made the living room a bit crowded, a fact that I was aware of and in the process of figuring out. My husband decided to take matters into his own hands and rearranged my living room. In a way that I had already expressly and firmly stated I did not want. Mama ain't happy. The thing that really makes me angry about this is that we discussed it and he knew I didn't want to do it that way, but he did it anyway, and then tried to hide from me when I came home from work - knowing exactly how I would feel. I was so mad, I didn't speak to him the rest of the evening. Not as punishment, but to keep myself from crossing the line into scary. Did I mention I was mad? The reason I am still mad is because the way he arranged things (and moved out a few things!) messed with my overall plans for that room and threw everything out of kilter. I am somewhat OCD, and I favor symmetry and balance. Where he put the couch absolutely jacks with the balance of the decor on the wall behind it. And every time I look at it, it drives me crazy because it's all out of whack.

So, I dwelt in the valley of evil for a bit thinking up a suitable revenge: move all the furniture around in HIS room while HE'S at work in a configuration HE will hate; or, change the orientation of his computer desktop upside down every day after first locking him out of his computer. I like that second one because he will have to ask me to fix it for him - every day, until I decide he has suffered enough. But, "vengeance is mine saith the Lord", so handling the matter in such a way is a no-no. Instead I will just rearrange everything in the living room. And tell him I will lock him out of his computer if he jacks with it again. I can't arrange it while he's home, though, or he will try exerting his preferences.

Another thing that has me a little peeved happened today. Well, I guess it happened yesterday, but I discovered it today. It involves something of mine that got "borrowed" without asking me - no bad intentions, but still...Good manners say you ask first and you don't pass it off as yours. 

The topper to my agitation: I've been forced to listen to some really crappy music from the 70's. This is stuff that hearing as a child, hated then. It hasn't gotten any better over time. What's worse is that it is all cover stuff by Glen Campbell, so even the good ones like Otis Redding's "Dock Of The Bay" isn't good because it's not him singing. Simon and Garfunkle's "Scarborough Fair" (Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme...), Judy Collins' "Both Sides Now", (which I don't like, but is worth mentioning because it is an odd choice), Hank Williams' "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" - All of them Glen, so not just his own greatest hits, but everybody else's too. I never cared for Glen Campbell and a few of his songs I truly despise like "Wichita Lineman", and "By The Time I Get To Phoenix". Today is day three of non-stop Glen Campbell. Proof that there really is a Devil. *sigh*

Looking out my backdoor
This is a photo I took with my phone in my back yard yesterday morning. I had to hurry because the clouds were moving pretty quickly. It was a brief break in the weather that I wanted to capture. Then I took a moment to check for new spring growth on last year's plantings. I noticed several peonies coming up and my lilac has buds, but not blooming yet. My neighbor's lilac has started already. My butterfly bush still looks like dead twigs, so I'm not sure what's happening with it. I think I am going to plant a couple more peonies on the south side of the house where those silly Live-Forever's died. The peonies do really well over there. I'm hoping for some good weather this weekend so we can do some work in the yard and maybe get a ride on the bike in, but it looks like Friday is mostly sunny while Saturday is partly cloudy and Sunday is stormy. Might have to plan a ride for Friday after work, and then yard work Saturday morning. That'll work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment