Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Elusive Hummingbird

It's been a busy week here in my dusty corner of Kansas. My middle son turned fourteen this week and I'm still reeling from the shock of that. It just doesn't seem possible. At all. :\

We took the boys to Joplin Friday afternoon  to have dinner and do birthday shopping and Saturday we painted the house. Yay - It's almost the same color all the way around now! Sunday is always a busy day with church and youth services and trying to get stuff ready for the coming work week in between all of that, not to mention any homework assignments due. (More about that another time.)

There has been a wee little hummingbird hanging around the pink lilies (for lack of the proper name) in the back yard, but every time I try to catch him with the camera, he disappears. It's not like I have to get right up on him either because I have that nifty telephoto that I got a while back for my Canon. It's like he's psychic or something. I started bringing the camera with me when I take the dogs out first thing in the morning - not an easy task - but he flits away and I got nothin'. I usually see him in the morning when it's cool, and the late afternoons or evenings when the heat backs off, so it's a short window of time. I have a hummingbird feeder, but I have never seen any around it. I think they are not fooled by it at all and these hummingbirds in our neighborhood are more refined than other hummingbirds. They have standards, and artificial nectar just doesn't cut it with them. It could be something like that - who really knows what goes on in a hummingbird's mind, anyway? But then again it's probably because it's too close to the house...

This little guy is tiny, though. I've never seen one so small before. One summer in California when my oldest son was just about 5 or 6, a hummingbird was lying on the front walk at my parents' house in the shade. His little body was heaving and he was listless, so immediately I went inside and grabbed my mom because she knew everything of course, and she would know what to do. She did. She said he was dehydrated and went inside and mixed up some sugar water and placed it in a red margarine lid and placed it near him and soon he was up and flying again. 

Looks like I will have to get more creative if I want to try to get a photo of my little friend. I think I need to move the feeder to a more strategic location also. I really do think it is probably too close to the house, but the main reason I did that was to discourage cats. So until I get a photo of my teeny tiny friend, here is one of a strange little insect on my dad's roses. I have no idea what this little guy is, but he is definitely colorful.


And there is a photo of said "pink lilies". They do appear to be some kind of lily and they are, in fact, pink, so...pink lilies they are and shall always be as far as I am concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment