Thursday, July 17, 2014

Planting Season and Periodic Slackers

Wow - has it really been that long?? It didn't seem like that long since I've updated anything here, but then school and life in general has been crazy-busy so time has flown for me. I recently had my neglect pointed out to me by two of my 4 readers (lol) and a potentially new reader a few weeks ago. So let's just pretend that no time has passed and that I'm not a slacker on occasion....


This Spring and Summer has been planting season at our house. We have planted a whole bunch of flowers, shrubs, and even a Kwanzan Cherry tree. Hubby planted tomatoes in huge tubs and I planted a makeshift herb garden of two types of lavender, Munstead and French,  Berggarten Sage, and Orange Mint. The lavenders and the mint in particular smell fantastic! The mint is especially lush and beautiful and has recently begun blooming. My French lavender has had some tall blooms that remind me of tiny Larkspur, but now the tips of the leaves are developing little purple horn-looking things so I'm anxious to see what happens. Can you tell I know nada about these things? I have no idea what I will do with them, but I love to smell them. My dogs seem to love them too because on their way past them they stick their noses in deep. I think I'm going to Google how to make lavender sachet. I'm pretty sure I can put that mint in tea and lemonade, but what I'd really like is to wear it in a little bag around my neck so I can smell it all day, lol. It has a citrusy scent to it that is soothing and energizing at the same time.
Orange Mint - shortly after planting

We also planted Hostas (which snails and rabbits both seem to love), a whole bunch of knockout roses in various colors, several peonies,  Oak-leaf Hydrangeas, Spirea, Butterfly Bush, and a Lilac. My lovely neighbor-lady to the South was gone during this time, and when she came back she said she made a little trip around our yard to see what all we had done. She has a beautiful Lilac that blooms every year and I wanted one too.
Orange Mint blooms

The sage (in the back), and the lavenders.

I'm thinking I got suckered with those hydrangeas. I told the woman I would like to have hydrangeas, but I didn't really know much about them. She told me these red hydrangeas were hardy and had beautiful red blooms and liked the shade. Well once they started blooming they were white. Okay, no big deal maybe they change later. Then I was told that depending on soil PH, certain varieties can change their color. But when the little blooms continued to stay white, and the bloom head was not in the typical round ball shape, I started Googling. I discovered what type of hydrangea I actually have (the aforementioned Oak-leaf variety) and that the blooms turn a dusty pink when they are dying, and the leaves turn red in the fall and winter - not the blooms. So, no, they do not have big gorgeous red blooms! The bloom heads are conical in shape and I don't really think they are all that attractive. So was the lady trying to give me something that would survive me, meaning that the other varieties were too finicky? Or did she really not know what she was giving me? My husband says she knew exactly what she was giving me....

Everything is growing and thriving - including the barely tolerated hydrangeas - so it appears that my plant-killing curse has been lifted. Well, except for the Purple Sedum - they all died and we have no idea what happened there. They're also known as "live-forever" - go figure! 

We have had several lovely tomatoes so far. We wanted to plant some cucumbers, but we missed the window for those, so we will have to rely on the kindness of others for those. Next year I am planting cucumbers and some peppers and then get someone who knows how, help me can peppered pickles.

The lightning bugs were out early this year. Actually, they are on time, which seems early because the last several years they have been late. The locusts (cicadas) are emerging from the ground and leaving their shells behind and have been singing for a couple of weeks now. I'll post some photos later ;)

So...maybe I'm not actually behind on my posting and am instead on time or even early and it only looks like I've neglected my blog? ...Nah! but it was worth a try! ~

No comments:

Post a Comment