Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Just Another Day in Paradise

Kamikaze birds, no turn-signal usage, and curbside furniture...just a few of my least favorite things. These are what I encountered this morning on my work commute...keep in mind my commute is at max, 5 minutes (3 if I use ridiculous speed and am able to dodge the farmers). First things first: I don't know what is wrong with the birds this morning but I had no less than three dive-bomb in front of my truck while I was driving (not all at once - different places). Thankfully I didn't hit any of them - that would have seriously screwed up my day. 

Next, I'm on 6th Street waiting to make my left turn onto Judson and the garbage truck I'm waiting on (thinking it is going straight) makes its own left turn the opposite direction. "Thanks for using a signal, you moron!" This is typical behavior for a lot of motorists in this town; stop signs, turn signals, functioning brake lights - they are all merely suggestions. Also, I should clarify "garbage truck". This is not the big hulking garbage trucks you normally see with the back roll-up door and garbage masher. No, this is a pickup with box panels attached on the bed. Here, we do have a couple of major players in the sanitation industry that use the big truck I previously mentioned, but we also have a few small-time family run businesses and enterprising individuals who also pick up garbage. Some of these have some nice trucks, not the big behemoths, but suitable for the work on a smaller scale. And then there are those that are using these slapped together panel trucks that look like they should just be dumped right along with the garbage. So professional...

Lastly (at least for this post) curbside furniture.  This is how people avoid going to the dump, or hauling their unwanted household goods to The Beacon (local charity donation point). This is also how young people living on their own without a lot of money furnish their homes. Here's how it works: You have an old couch that you need to get rid of (for whatever reason), but you a) don't have a truck, or b) don't know anyone who wants said couch, or c) it isn't fit for humans any longer so you can't donate it. What do you do? You put it out on the curb and hope someone takes it off your hands for you. If you put a sign on it that says "Free" it might take a few days for it to disappear. If you put a sign on it with a price, it will be gone by the time you get done brushing your teeth. If you don't want to put a price on it, just put it a little closer to the house as if you just moved it outside to get it out of the way. It will be gone once it turns dark. 

So, I hate it when birds or other animals fly/run out in front of me because I can't bear to hit them and more likely than not, I will cause a big ol' gnarly accident to avoid hitting them. It makes me sad  :(  I also hate it when people don't use their turn signals because it can cause accidents or in my case, cause me to yell impolite things and puts me in a bad mood. I hate the furniture on the sidewalks and in the gutters because it looks junky, and it reflects poorly on the town I live in...and also because I can't seem to stop myself from slowing down and looking...and wondering why they're getting rid of such a pretty sofa...then I remind myself - that sofa came from the crazy cat lady's house and it no doubt smells like cat spray, and I'm good. I can stop pondering the mystery - mystery solved!

So this has been a little slice of life in my dusty, Midwest paradise. Pretty typical day really. My day will be complete when the little old confused lady calls me at work to ask me what the date is today.

No comments:

Post a Comment