Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Signs, Wonders, and Unconventional Messengers

God's Messengers come in all forms it would seem. Have you ever had a complete sign-from-above moment? I have been struggling over the decision to change my degree program to Graphic Design or to stay on the Web Design and Interactive Media program. My problem lies with the last part: media. I just finished Intro to Audio and Desktop Video is coming up. Looking at the rest of the classes I have yet to take, I am seeing a heavy emphasis on media and very little web design. Actually, almost every class I've had that dealt with web design really revolved around the media aspects of web design. I'm just not that into media. I don't want to create Interactive CD Roms or mobile applications or interactive kiosks. I'm pretty sure I was told that these two programs share a lot of the same classes (but WDIM has more web courses). I know I heard that from at least two different counselors, waaaay back the first couple of times I questioned whether I was in the right program or not. But now I have a counselor who is really listening and wants to help me get the most out of my education instead of classes that are a waste of my time (and money!).

So anyhoo, Sunday evening was our church's trunk-or-treat. While I was talking with my friend Rhonda who was passing out candy she let me try a piece of Dove chocolate (milk chocolate with cinnamon graham cracker pieces), which was wonderful by the way! I put the wrapper in my pocket, thinking I would throw it away later when I was near the trash can. I forgot about it until we were about to leave and I felt it in my pocket when I put my hand in there to warm it up. I suddenly had the idea that I should open it, and then remembered that they put messages on the inside of the wrapper when I saw the white rounded square. I opened it carefully and smoothed out the wrinkles and read the message. A message that I'm sure is on hundreds of thousands of little pieces of chocolate, but this one was meant for me. I showed it to my husband and said "Look! It's just for me and now I know that I should change!" My husband being the wonderful man that he is, says "That's okay, Hun, I was just teasing - I love you just the way you are."  "No, you don't....What??"  

Moving on...I sent my counselor an email and completed the forms on Monday morning. I had to take a course that works for either program until the transfer is accepted, and since classes started Monday, we had to work fast.  So now I am in Intro to Communications 101, otherwise known as Speech - Yay.  Oh well, it had to happen sooner or later, better to get it done and over with now.

After wrestling with the decision and flipping back and forth, and asking God for guidance and direction, the answer came in the form of a wrapper on a heavenly little piece of chocolate that otherwise would have been thrown away. The God of the Universe is altogether amazing and wonderful, and because he knows what I like, he chose to give me my answer in chocolate. Okay, so it wasn't in the smoke of a burning tree, or spelled out in the night sky with stars, but does an answer to prayer or a message from God really have to be big and spectacular?  Not at all  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment